“Autumn is the mellower season, and what we lose in flowers we more than gain in fruits.”
― Samuel Butler
This month’s quote is a great reminder to us all as we head into a hectic, busy and often stressful holiday season. This is the perfect time to gain some footing and prep your self and your relationships for a season of change. Family dynamics come into play, and financial stressors can ensue with the gift giving practice. The actual seasons of change affect us whether we believe it or not too. Oakland and general East bay area weather can be nice most of the time however, here are a few ways to help yourself:
1. Allow daylight to enter the house.
2. Spend at least half an hour daily outdoors, get some air!
3. Move. Get some exercise even if its taking a walk or dancing in the living room!
4. Eat right. Hunger and craving for sweets and starches is common in SAD. People eat to beat the blues and many of them become “carbohydrate addicts. ” Alarmed by the weight gain, they start dieting which makes them a “yo-yo weight changer. ” To avoid that, eat balanced meals which are high on complex carbohydrates and protein, and low on fat. Consult a good meals chart and plan a seven-day program which is heavily biased in favor of vegetables, fruits, and grains.
5. Laugh! Watch a movie or a comedy act.
AND THE BEST FOR LAST…
Taking time for ourselves in therapy and being proactive before any angst arrives, is so wise!
Come and see me in Oakland, CA first visit www.healinghappenstherapy.com and call at 510-507-1763